Sunday, September 20, 2009

...and now for something completely different.



It took all of three posts for it to happen. I've managed to go off topic. I figure there's a whole wide world outside of sports and maybe I should explore it a little bit. I know I promised to do a training camp roundup for the Canadian NHL teams, but I figured that I'd go in a different direction for this post.

I spent the weekend stuck inside at work on what was likely the last good weather weekend of the summer. As I am a city employee, I had plenty of time to read the newspaper though. Flipping through a few newspapers, I came across some articles that are kind of thought provoking. They not connected in any way and cover a wide spectrum of topics. I thought I'd share a few of these articles from the Free Press and the Globe and Mail that I found interesting.

Want to know why professor's don't teach?

Margaret Wente hit the nail on the head with this article. University professors spend way too little time in the classroom. The example of University of Manitoba hit home for me, as I am a graduate from that fine institution. If I had a nickel for every unhelpful prof or in over their head sessional instructor that I experienced during my five years there...well I'd have several nickels. Not to say this is true of all the profs I had teach me. Some of the best educators that I have ever had taught me at Manitoba. Yet, the vast majority of the profs in my department(cough...Political Studies...cough) seemed more concerned with their next research paper or their next conference in Ottawa, than reaching out after class to help their students.

Universities need to re-examine the whole teaching/research system. It is obviously in need of an overhaul.

How not to do it: Handed a prize, city hall turned it into a hot potato

It's good to see that the winners at City Hall can take a proposed development that is extremely beneficial for the City and completely screw it up. Public consultation is always important. These are the people that elect councillors and pay the planning department's salaries. The development idea is great, as it is a method to deal with urban sprawl issues, but the City mishandled it.

Tillman in legal limbo

At least I didn't go completely off topic. The Eric Tillman sexual assault drama has been dragging on in Regina for quite some time. I know it is innocent until proven guilty, but I think this article is somewhat in poor taste. The article extols Tillman's virtues as a CFL general manager, working behind the scenes, yet only makes brief mention at the end what he is charged with. This article would have been better served if it had been written after the resolution of the case.

The Globe also has a great article by Stephen Brunt on a former American CFL running back, who has taken an interesting football route. Big man on campus

No comments:

Post a Comment