Thursday, September 10, 2009

Welcome.

Welcome to Life on a Couch, a blog that combines two things that one can partake in while lounging on their comfortable sofa: sports and blogging.

My name is Neil Babaluk and I have just started in the Creative Communications program at Red River College. One of our first big assignments for the program, and an ongoing one at that, is to create a blog and unleash it on the unsuspecting blogsphere. Well, maybe unleash it is the wrong phrase to use. More like, my blog has been given training wheels and I’ll tentatively roll out into the blogsphere.

After much intense, deep-rooted soul searching, I finally decided on a topic to structure my blog around. Imagine the Seinfeld episode where Jerry is doing some soul searching out on a pier and when he finally comes to a life changing decision, he takes off running. That’s exactly how the whole choosing a topic process played out for me. At first I wanted to do a free-ranging blog where I discussed things that I came across in my travels or interesting items that I found on the internet. After I lost confidence in that idea, I narrowed the idea down to a general sports blog. That seemed to be too broad of a topic as well. My next idea was to blog about weird sports played around the world. It’s a cool idea, but I decided that it was too narrow in scope. Finally, I had my Seinfeld moment and decided that I wanted to blog about the Canadian sports scene.

This blog is dedicated to the analysis and discussion of sports and sporting events that take place in our fine country. Whether it is the CFL, NHL, and MLB or Olympic sports and other amateur pursuits, it will be discussed here. I can promise plenty of Blue Bomber talk, as my unconditional love for the team has been constantly tested this summer. I actually briefly considered naming the blog "Fire Mike Kelly".

I may stray off topic occasionally to discuss American or global sports, but the main purpose of this blog will be to discuss Canadian sports. I think I will throw in an entry about weird sports though. The chance to blog about elephant polo, wife carrying, and bog snorkeling is too good of an opportunity to pass up. On that note, I encourage everyone to leave comments and let me know why my opinion is completely off base, which it probably will be most of the time.

Here’s a video to kick off the blog in style.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Neil,
    Thanks for the Stegall TD top ten! It gave me a glimmer of reason as to why I'm a bomber fan. Us Peggers rely on those big play moments to boost our football adrenaline. Its just too bad that nobody will be able to fill Stegall's shoes. The guy is a legend of the CFL! Straight up, the best to ever play north of the USA.

    ReplyDelete