Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Editing is the life of a CreCommer

Coming into the second year of CreComm, I had no clue that editing would be the theme of my year. It definitely has so far. I've got courses in Editing Print and Online Media, Image Editing, and video editing. It's quickly become clear that the principles of editing the written word carry over to editing video.

When we edit a news article, we read for understanding, for organization and focus, for grammar,spelling, punctuation and style, for language and sentence structure, and to proofread. Several of these techniques are useful for editing video as well.

When editing an article we read it first for understanding. Does the story make sense? The same concept applies to video editing. When we're in the editing booth, a story needs to be formed through the editing of clips.

Organization and focus is essential for both the written word and for video. Are the facts in the right order to tell the story? Is the focus placed on the right information to make it compelling? Both writing and video need organization and focus.

Finally proofreading is as essential to video editing as it is to editing writing. It's just not reading. It's picking up all the tiny errors in the editing process and cleaning them up, just like proofreading is catching all the small errors in writing. This process is essential for a clean, final product.

I'm slowly getting used to editing consuming my life, but I'm glad there are consistencies between the different media.

4 comments:

  1. I brushed my teeth holding the Crest White toothpaste tube in my hand, hoping I would find an error in the copy. After brushing my teeth, I grabbed the shampoo bottle hoping I would find something.

    I'm Eman, the slayer of screw-ups. Is there a place in society where I would fit? CreCommland will not be there forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Eman, you can always turn to your blog or Twitter!

    Neil: great post. Good editing is a big part of what separates professional communications from the billions of bytes of other dreck out there. Understanding the difference between "output" and actually reaching your audiences is key - and smart editing is at the heart of it.

    We can have the greatest ideas in the world - but if we don't present them in a way that people will want to consume, they'll never be heard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neil, thank you for making connections among the types of editing in different media.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, Eman! I do the same thing! PS you should pitch "Eman the Slayer of Screw-ups" to Marvel or something... you could be a superhero!

    ReplyDelete