Friday, January 29, 2010

Former MJHLer starring in NCAA


Getting an education, while having the opportunity to play the game you love. It's a dream that many hockey players share. Jordan Cyr is living this dream. The former Selkirk Steelers star is currently playing in the NCAA, with the Holy Cross Crusaders. He's had an injury plagued season, but still leads the Crusaders with 16 points in 17 games.

Here's a Q and A with Jordan Cyr that was intended for the MJHL website, but didn't make the cut.

How did you end up in the MJHL?

I was recruited out of Prep School by Selkirk’s GM, Ken Petrash. He saw me play out east, and told me that he thought Selkirk was a perfect place for me to start my junior career. Coincidentally, my parents were planning on moving back to Winnipeg, from our home just north of Toronto. I agreed to visit with Ken in Selkirk, and was very impressed with what I saw. Being able to live at home and play in such a great organization was en easy decision.

What is your best memory of your year in the MJHL?

That’s an easy one. We went down 3 games to none in the Addison Division final. We clawed our way back to win 3 straight, and force a game seven in Selkirk. The stands were jam packed when we got to the rink an hour and a half before warm up. The atmosphere was unbelievable. We ended up winning the game, beating a very strong Winnipeg South Blues team.

How did the MJHL prepare you for college hockey?

I learned a lot about positional play, play away from the puck, and defensive responsibility. I also learned what it meant to really devote yourself to the game. I had never played such a long season, and spent so much time on the road. My time in the MJHL taught me just how hard it is, and how much you have to work, to succeed at the next level.

What's life like playing college hockey?

It’s amazing. It’s unbelievably busy, and a lot of work, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I get to spend just about every minute with my teammates, who are my best friends. Having the opportunity to represent your school and to play against some of the best teams in the country each weekend is pretty special.

What are your goals for the rest of the season?

I am coming back to the lineup from an injury in the new year, and want to do everything I can to help my team win. We have a great group of guys, and have our goals set pretty high. We are looking to win home ice advantage in the playoffs, win our league, and go to the NCAA tournament. We are hosting an NCAA regional this year, and that’s where we want to be playing.

What are your plans for after college? Is hockey part of them?

Hockey is a big part of my plans after college. I am excited at the opportunity to turn pro, and play either in North America, or in Europe. Just the way the MJHL prepared me for college, I think Holy Cross has prepared me for a professional career.

No comments:

Post a Comment